Sunday, March 19, 2017

It's All About Style

Hey Everyone!

So after our march play failed I decided it's time to go back to the drawing board and start on square one. I know, it's incredibly intimidating! My metaphorical idea board was coming up blank because all the ideas I had didn't seem to fit and I wasn't going anywhere. SO, I decided to really start fresh by doing some good old research again. Instead of focusing on conventions, I looked more into different documentary types and styles. I found a pretty good website that gave me a good explanation on the 6 types of documentaries. My two favorites were:

Poetic Documentaries
First seen in the 1920s. Poetic Documentaries are very much what they sound like. They focus on experiences, images and showing the audience the world through a very different set of eyes. Abstract and loose with narrative, the poetic sub-genre can be very unconventional and experimental in form and content. The ultimate goal is to create a feeling rather than a truth.

Performative DocumentariesPerformative Documentaries are an experimental combination of styles used to stress subject experience and share an emotional response to the world. They often connect personal accounts or experience juxtaposed with larger political or historical issues. This has sometimes been called the "Michael Moore" style, as he often uses his own personal stories as a way to construct social truths (without having to argue the validity of their experiences).

I'm hoping to work backwards and while my creativity and good ideas hide from me, look at the more technical elements of my project. I know with poetic mode it would be a lot of focus on planning but I believe in myself and my partner. The performative route seems interesting and something I better connect to. I've got to admit it's a bit exposing seeing as we're probably using a personal account!

Wish me some more luck please!

No comments:

Post a Comment