Thursday, March 10, 2016

Too Many Possibilities

Hello World.

I'm back for my second post during my first week of my project. Thanks to my teacher's Pinterest page, I have access to a lot of great resources. One of the resources I found had a chart on the Psychology of Color which helped me decide on the color scheme of my double page spread. It forced me to be more analytical and aware of the magazine choices I was making.

I already have a vision of what I want my product to be. The target audience I'm aiming for is consisted mainly of women ages 16+. I want my product to reflect womanhood and femininity yet at the same time be serious and about serious issues. I don't want my magazine to be like the stereotypical women magazines about homes, cooking, fashion, makeup, losing weight, or sex.

Examples of what I DON'T want:



In AICE Media, I have studied representation in media. I've learned that women are represented with stereotypical tropes in the media and are often told that they need to meet society's standard of beauty. I am attempting to deviate from this pattern and create a magazine that is visually very feminine and girly but in actuality, has content that is relevant concerning issues ongoing in today's society.

As a result of my own research I found some great magazines that are all similar to the type I aim to create. I found this post about women's magazines on Autostraddle that led me to magazines that are very feminist and that are centered on issues that specifically effect women.

Examples of what I DO want:


                        
Now, I've run into a dilemma concerning what to do for my cover image. Of course determining a cover image also means deciding on a cover story so the two correlate; which, I have yet to do as well. I gained some insight while looking at these two magazines (Shameless and Ms.). I realized that the type of magazine I am looking to create has more options (pertaining to the cover image) than I first thought. 

My progress in brainstorming a title and planning my front page, Table of Content (TOC), and double-page spread. 

Now that I've started brainstorming I have come up with so many ideas that I want to put in my issue. I have created two broad categories for the issue itself that I have managed to choose between. However now I can't decide what story I want to focus on and use as my cover story. I am aware that I can do more than one double page spread, however, I'm worried that if try to do more than one I'll spread myself too thin. I'd rather have one double-page spread that's a 10 rather than, two double-page spreads that are both 7s. I know I won't be able to choose between the two. Now the decision-to-make is:  I take the choice out of my hands by allowing my peers to decide for me or I choose to do more than one double-page spread. No worries, I will have my answer by my next post.

Goodbye World.


  • Better Homes and Gardens Feb. 2016. Print. 
    
    
    
    
  • Cosmopolitan Sept. 2015. Print.
  • Ms. Magazine. Ms.Magazine Blog. Web. 1 Apr. 2016. <http://msmagazine.com/blog/>.
  • Ms. Magazine Spring-Summer 2012. Ms. Magazine. Web. 1 Apr. 2016. <http://www.msmagazine.com>.
  • Riese. "15 Women’s Magazines That Don’t Suck, Are Awesome." Autostraddle. N.p., 11 Apr. 2012. Web. 1 Apr. 2016. <http://www.autostraddle.com/14-good-womens-magazines-stuff-thats-worth-your-time-money-136118/>.
  • Shameless Fall 2013. Shameless. Web. 1 Apr. 2016. <http://shamelessmag.com>
  • Shameless. Web. 1 Apr. 2016. <http://shamelessmag.com>.
  • "The Psychology of Color in Fonts and Design." Doodle Dog. N.p., 17 Apr. 2013. Web. 1 Apr. 2016.<http://doodledog.com/the-psychology-of-color-and-fonts-in-design/>.

No comments:

Post a Comment