Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Poster Struggles Part 2

Hello!

Who knew making a film poster would be this rough? Not me! I of course suspected it would not be easy but life got in the way again and made it harder for Chey and I. After settling on one idea, we decided to do a large Z filled with words.





However, that was a lot more challenging to make then first meets the eye. First of all, neither of us knew how to make it. When I first searched on Google, the only way I could find to make it was with Photoshop or an Adobe program. Well, neither of us have Photoshop so that wasn't going to happen. Chey took the reins while I continued creating our website (more on that in the next post).  By some miracle, she accidentally figured out how to do it. Hallelujah!

Then came time to format the actual poster. We decided to use Canva because it gives us a lot of options to work with and it's relatively accessible. I had to look at some other movie posters to help me figure out where to put what. I also had to create a free trial in order to upload the SteelTongs font. I learned that that's the font of the credits at the bottom of a movie poster. I got some inspiration from the That Awkward Moment movie poster. We liked the way they used two different colors of text for part of their title and other information, such as: the date and website.

One of the hardest parts in making our poster was probably figuring out the font we wanted to use for the subtitle. Oh my goodness! I don't think I told you guys we figured out the title! Okay well, we decided that We Are Not Who You Think We Are was really way too long. I mean come on, even the acronym is crazy. It was actually kind of an accident the way we figured out the title and the poster. We decided to name the documentary Z. As you can see in the poster above, they have a subtitle "When you realize getting some means wanting more." So we made our subtitle, "We Are Not Who You Think We Are." What we decided to do is make our overarching "brand" the We Are Gen Z Project. Then our documentary, Z, would be our current project. Our social campaign is #WeAreGenZ. The Z for our documentary stems from the whole Gen Z idea since our documentary is for and about Gen Zers. You can see more details about the website in my next post no worries!

Oh here's a fun fact! So while I was making the poster I had to create the release date. I decided to do the month, date, and year with periods in between. But then, I thought to myself, "Kassidy, does the date matter?" Since I could't answer my own question I believed a search on Google could. So I went to Google and I searched, "does a movie's release date matter?" The answer to that question is Yes!

"Traditionally, the beginning of the year is seen as a much quieter and lower-profile time at the box office than, say, the summer blockbuster season- traditionally between May and August- or the end of the year in November and December, when both blockbusters and awards season hopefuls appear."

That lovely quote is credit to the informative website I have linked for you here.

Bye peeps!
        

No comments:

Post a Comment